I have found the reports of Islamic terrorist threats against the Olympics in China to be quite telling. Just a few variously phrased observations:
1. Give Islamic terrorists credit for consistency and commitment- there is no international event in which they wouldn't like to scare and kill people.
2. I wonder how China will handle the "processing" of any Islamic terrorists it apprehends? You think Guantanamo is hard on such folk?
3. Honestly, what other kind of terrorists are there but Islamic ones? Sure, there are psycho's like Timothy McVeigh and other mass murderers, sporadic nationalistic revolutionary groups, but what other international groups or religions sanction such widespread terrorist actions? When's the last time you heard "Budhist terrorists bomb marketplace"? Or how about, "Christian radicals claim responsibility for the downing of Flight 434"? Seriously.
4. I sense a small amount of repudiation in the American Islamic community toward the issue of "radical" Islamic terrorists, but not enough. This is why it's hard for the average person to see the difference between "radical" Islam and what some call "true" Islam. Maybe mainstream Muslims aren't that offended by so-called radical Islam?
5. As for "true" Islam, it certainly seems the "radical" wing is more in line with it's founder. Just read the facts of history.
6. If Christians were as committed to the ideals of it's founder as radical Islamic adherents are to theirs, the Geo-political picture would be far different.